Friday, August 26, 2011

Once Upon a Time . . .


Since I was very young, the Disney Company has been one of my greatest passions and biggest obsessions.  That is far from secret.  It is safe to say that Disney animated films have played a huge part in nearly everybody’s childhood, but for me these movies were more than just another form of fleeting entertainment.  I was never the type to simply “like” something; I had to make it my entire world. I wasn’t satisfied with passively enjoying a Disney movie, I had to be able to recite all of the lyrics to the songs on the soundtrack, had to be able to name every character and who voiced them.  But while I can claim to know a huge amount about many Disney movies, I have never set aside the time to take a hard look at the progression of the animation or to contemplate exactly what it is about these films that makes them so much more dear to us to than other animated features.  I love me some American Tail, but in his wildest dreams Don Bluth could not compare his work to The Little Mermaid.

As I packed my things to move to Anaheim for the Disney College Program, I found myself looking at my old, well-loved Disney VHS tapes and lamenting the fact that I didn’t have copies of all of those movies on DVD to take with me.  It suddenly hit me that I needed to start building my collection of Disney DVDs, but the thought of buying 50 movies at once was overwhelming.  Wouldn’t it be fun, I thought, to purchase these films in the order in which they were released? This way I could re-familiarize myself with the films without missing any of them and, for the first time, watch the art of animation develop and advance right before my eyes. 

Treasures Untold will document my progress as I buy and re-watch (or in some cases view for the first time) every single Disney animated feature film from Snow White to Tangled.  I am excited to discover what I may have missed when I watched these movies as a child and see how technology and storytelling devices have evolved since the 1930’s.  My entries will be part research paper, part anecdote, and part thoughtful reaction. By the end I will have a big fat box of the best animated films ever made. After reliving the magic one movie at a time, I will have my collection with me for the rest of my life to remind me of how revolutionary, heartwarming, and influential these animated features are. 

19 comments:

  1. To be honest, I never really watched Disney movies as a kid. I feel like I've missed out. I know what you mean about it becoming your whole world though, I still do that haha :)
    I found this through Alex btw and I'm quite happy I did, it sounds interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph,
    Maybe some of my posts will inspire you to watch certain Disney films! Thanks for reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This a brilliant idea for a blog and I'm really looking forward to sharing this journey with you. I know I grew up watching the Disney films, but was never as into them as you are (I'm more like Alex in that respect actually), but the Lion King was the first movie I ever saw in the theater as a kid and has always been my favorite partly for that reason.

    And I'm glad you chose blogspot so I can actually follow it and be sure not to miss a post. Haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was a kid I maybe saw 6 Disney films, but about 2 years ago I decided to start building up my collection onto DVDs. Disney probably made at least 50% of my DVD collection now :)

    As a 90s baby, I do have to say that all the best Disney films came out in that decade :D Mulan, Pocahontas, Lion King, Aladdin...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Black Cauldron will be hard to find andharder to sit through! =) Sounds like a wonderful project, can't wait to read about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it gonna be difficult to get them and watch them in order with how the Disney vault system works? Because I have been building my disney dvd collection, and I am always waiting for one or another to come out of the vault so I can buy it. I waited years for Beauty and the Beast until it came out last year! Anyways, I'm excited to read your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meg,
    I'm pretty ok with buying the DVDs via Amazon as long as they are packaged and brand new. That's how I'm doin it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yay! Good. I'm really looking forward to this project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Disney so much, and my dream is to work for Pixar :) I can't wait for this project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're such a good writer! Excited for more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a great project, I can't wait to read about all those movies:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah! I can't wait to read more! I'm kinda inspired watch them all in order to. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sarah, I'm really excited about this project too because I' a great Disney fan. I watch all of your videos and I won't miss any of your posts here. Can't wait ;). Regards from Spain!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome... just-just awesome. Can't wait n_n

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just bought Mulan :) Of course, you won't get to that for years, but I'm looking forward to reading your blogs. I've never liked the classic movies, but Mulan, Aladdin, Pocahontas, Cinderella I & II, and the Little Mermaid I & II were all extensively watched by me as a kid.
    I recently saw Tangled and loved it as well. I ask you, what beats magic hair?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am a Disney freak, and love watching the movies, I appreciate everything they have to offer and actually studied Snow White in High School for Women in History to see the perfect 30s woman portrayed. I just was linked your blog and it is right up my alley! Keep em coming, really well researched! Also, kind of random, but you said you work in the Disney parks? I would love to either be a character or work in the Costuming Department (I am a design major in school) and was wondering how one goes about getting those jobs? I am on the intern and job/resume site and don't see many opportunities, any advice would be extremely welcomed!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for reading! I work in stores at Disneyland, so I don't know a lot about the costuming side of things. I know that some people within the College Program were assigned costuming jobs and that professional internships would be listed on the site, so if they aren't there they might not be hiring right now. Keep checking!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Someone get this girl a book deal!

    ReplyDelete